8 Best Traditional Catholic Movies

Monday, January 08, 2018
Have you ever tried watching a modern Catholic movie and couldn't help but cringe at the cheesy directing and mediocre acting? The majority of those movies try to portray the lives of some of the greatest and most popular saints (notice how I said "try"). The true saints, whose stories are being told, have inspiring stories and a strong love of God. But in those movies, I just don't feel it.

Cringy Modern Catholic Movies

The biggest problem, for me, is that these Novus Ordo movies are trying to be way too serious. Modern moviemakers are making everything overdramatic and trying to make it entertaining, so much so, that it can distract viewers from learning anything valuable about the faith. Well, at least that's the way I feel. 

Here is a list of some of the best Catholic movies (in my opinion) that don't try too hard to be a cinematic masterpiece but are enjoyable and moving. (Except for The Passion of the Christ...now that is a masterpiece that will never disappoint.)


Best Catholic Movies

1. The Reluctant Saint

Image result for the reluctant saintThis movie is one of the funniest and sweetest Catholic movies I have ever watched. It portrays St. Joseph of Cupertino as an innocent and humble man with a love for Mary. It gives us a good lesson on following the will of God, which is not the easiest.

Surprisingly, the saint's mother in the movie reminds me way too much of my own mother.





Image result for the wizard of heavenOriginally in French, the Wizard of Heaven shows how St. Jean-Marie Vianney transformed the village of Ars from a lost cause into a devoted community.

What I like about this movie is that it shows the struggle that St. Jean-Vianney had with the devil. It can get a little intense but the actor playing the saint is really good, looks like St. Jean-Marie Vianney too. 





Image result for the passion of the christUndoubtedly, one of the best Catholic films (yes it deserves to be called a film) for many Traditional Catholics. My family and I usually watch this film during lent because it shows the most realistic portrayal of the Crucifixion. I'm sure you've all seen this. 

I first saw this movie when I was 10 years old. Surprisingly, I did not get traumatized by the violent imagery. Maybe it didn't affect me because I already had an idea of what the Crucifixion was or because kids these days are desensitized. The only way this movie scared me was the scary demon jump scare and the possessed children. Them crazy kids.


4. Francis of Assisi

Image result for francis of assisi movieMy favourite part of this movie is the opening credits. I just love the song. I even downloaded it on iTunes. 

Ok, now for the movie. What I like about it, is that it shows the leadership and determination of St. Francis of Assisi. Also, it touches on religious vocations (fact: the woman playing St. Clare actually became a nun) and poverty. Although, I am a thrifty person I do tend to get caught up in materialistic things.  




5. The Song of Bernadette

Image result for the song of bernadetteThis movie is a classic and it won many awards. It is really inspiring to see how a simple poor girl was chosen by God to give us a message from Mary. We also get to see how St. Bernadette was able to deliver what she needed to say even after being pressured to lie. 

We also get to see some of the sufferings she went through. Suffering is already hard enough but with love of God it can be done well. I need to learn from that...




6. Marcelino, Pan Y Vino

Image result for marcellino pane e vinoI haven't watched this movie in years...but from what I remember this movie made me, a wee little lass, tear up from how sweet and innocent this movie was. It shows us how a young boy raised by monks is moved by the representation of God in the crucifix. 

If you want your heart to melt, watch this movie. No spoilers.





7. Thérèse (1986)

Image result for therese movie 1986Everyone must know of St. Thérèse, the Little Flower. She is famous for her autobiography and her simple way of living for God. This movie is one of my sister's favourite saint movies because it shows the life of St. Thérese in a more accurate way than others movies. It doesn't have any flashy imagery but it is simple, like St. Thérese. The only thing bad about this movie is that it is hard to find. 

When I was a teenager, my mother sat my sisters and me down one day to watch this movie. It really showed me what virtue St. Thérèse had without even knowing what virtue was. 


8. The Miracle of Our Lady Fatima

Image result for the miracle of our lady of fatima movieThis movie may not be 100% accurate, but it does give you a basic idea of the events that happened during the apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima. It is entertaining and a good movie for the whole family.

When I was watching this as a kid, I would think to myself "Why can't Our Lady appear to me? Waah waah waah!" Boy, was I a piece of work. We all have a different role in this world so don't worry if Our Lady doesn't appear to you. Took me a while to become more humble and realize this. 




If you have any favourite Catholic movies, let me know what they are down below. Also, let me know what are your opinions on these Catholic movies.

- Beverly 💗

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness YES! Sheesh! So hard to find authentic and actually inspiring Catholic movies... but I'm glad to say that it seems some good ones are finally coming out! I've got a list I made on IMDB if you'd like to check it out! After seeing so many "50 Catholics Movies" or "100 Best Catholic Films!" that just scandalized me concerning the content (UGH!), I decided to try and make a list of 100 or more great authentic Catholic films! Though not all of them are non-cheesy (lol) I felt pretty accomplished to find nearly 100... whereas the "Catholic" websites had 100 of half-non-Catholic films.... :)

    So there were my favorites aside from the ones you've mentioned:

    1. Under the Roman Sky
    2. For Greater Glory
    3. The Detective (LOVED this one! Came across it by accident! So good. Love old movies...)
    4. The Scarlet and the Black
    5. Karol: A Man Who Became Pope (SOOO sad!!!)
    6. Popieluszko (LOOOOOVE this one!)
    7. Joan of Arc (1948)
    8. Sant'Antonio di Padova (In Italian, with great Italian acting haha.)

    http://www.imdb.com/list/ls027076387/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! I'm totally gonna check out those movies!

    ReplyDelete

Hmmmmm...

Powered by Blogger.